Teresa Schoonings a Clean50 2022 Award Honouree
Toronto, Ontario ( September 29, 2021)
– Bimbo Canada is proud to announce that Teresa Schoonings, Senior Director, Sustainability and Government Relations, has been named a 2022 Clean50 award honouree.
Canada’s Clean50 Awards are announced annually by Delta Management Group and the Clean50 organization to recognize those 50 individuals or small teams, from 16 different categories, who have done the most to advance the cause of sustainability and clean capitalism in Canada during the past 2 years.
“I am very honoured and humbled to be recognized with this award,” said Teresa Schoonings. “At Bimbo Canada sustainability is central to our mission of Nourishing a Better World. This award is a testament to all the work that we are doing to run a company that understands and believes that we need to work in ways that support and sustain our environment and the communities that we live and work in.”
“The Clean50 honourees come from such a broad array of backgrounds, such that only a few individuals are able to be recognized within any given category. To receive a Clean50 award is truly indicative of nation-wide and personal leadership in the Retail & Consumer Products category” said Gavin Pitchford, CEO, Delta Management Group.
Delta’s criteria in determining honourees is to carefully consider actual measurable accomplishments, demonstrated innovation, collaboration with other organizations, and the power of the honouree’s contribution to inspire other Canadians to take similar action.
Together, the Bimbo Canada team has realized:
- Removed 174M of plastic from packaging and migrated 58% of all materials used in our packaging to certified sources
- Signed two Virtual Power Purchase Agreements to offset 100% of the company’s electricity use once fully operational (end of 2022)
- Earned Energy Star certification at our Hamilton bakery
- Diverted 2.34M units of product from landfill through donations and avoided an additional 4M units of product from becoming waste through reduction of returns
- Installed 27 electric vehicle charging stations for associate-use
- Partnered with Bullfrog Power for all energy used to produce Oroweat Organic bread
- Removed more than 1,800,000 km off the road through various initiatives to improve distribution efficiency and the promotion of our flex-work policy for associates
- Converting to 100% LED lighting in all bakeries in Canada by the end of 2021
“When the goal for the world's biggest baker for 2025 is to make their Canadian operations run on 100% renewable electricity and sustainable packaging, cut food waste by 50%, and achieve net-zero carbon by 2050, you need to start big – and then not stop,” added Gavin Pitchford. “Teresa’s team and outside advisors Enviro-Stewards tackled a range of opportunities. So far, annualized savings across the board: Water use > 85,000 m3; natural gas > 167,000 m3, electricity > 1,005,000 kWh and food loss and waste at the plants reduced by almost 16 T. Shifting packaging to recyclable options removed 174 T of plastic from waste streams. By the time Teresa's done, the only carbon Bimbo is responsible for will be when their consumers burn toast!”
For the complete list of the 2022 Clean50 Emerging Leaders please visit http://www.clean50.com/.
About Bimbo Canada
Bimbo Canada is Canada's largest bakery, operating for more than 100 years. It is a leading producer and distributor of fresh packaged breads and snacks with more than 1,000 products across 18 brands Canadians know and love, like Dempster's®, Stonemill®, Villaggio®, Vachon® and Takis®. We are proud to feed Canadian families with safe, high-quality products they can trust made by Canadians, for Canadians at 16 bakeries, 15 distribution centres and 191 depots across the country.
Bimbo Canada is a wholly owned subsidiary of Grupo Bimbo, the world's largest baking company. Together, they are nourishing a better world with delicious baked goods and snacks by building a sustainable, highly productive and deeply humane company. The company is dedicated to building a diverse workplace that promotes equity and belonging, where all employees can develop and contribute to the transformation of the company, the baking industry and our communities.
About Delta Management Group / Canada’s Clean50:
Leading ESG, sustainability and clean tech search firm Delta Management Group founded, and remains the steward of the Canada’s Clean50 awards, created in 2011 to annually identify, recognize and connect 50 sustainability leaders from every sector of Canadian endeavor, in order to facilitate understanding, collaboration and innovation in the fight to keep climate change impacts below 1.5 degrees C. Ancillary awards also recognize 20 Emerging Leaders and the Top Sustainability Projects of the year, as well as bestow Lifetime Achievement designations.